Five minutes, any day. Spent writing—something anything not for anyone anything no edits no outlines no plans no correction, this is where it goes.enjoy.

Friday, December 2, 2011

The Year 2011

"When one of my fellow employee's iPod ran out of batteries, I let him use mine while cleaning. I can indefinitely occupy myself with my own thoughts and know that it's harder for most people to do the exact same thing for 4+ hours without some kind of entertainment."

I came across this the other day perusing another blog. It was the craziest thing, because it made me stop and think.


Can I indefinitely occupy myself with my own thoughts?  Without noise or music going on in the background?


I used to be able to.  I've blogged about it before (but not here).  I love long car rides (without small children) when I can just sit in the backseat and look out the window and think.  Philosophical quiets, I've come to know them as.  Silence where I can just be, at rest with myself.


I was sitting here in my bedroom all alone, my older set of brothers downstairs quietly, the younger set away for a while with my parents.  I was doing homework and listening to music.  And then, as I reached over to turn His Favorite Christmas Story up, I realized.  There is no one home.  The house is quiet.


Why do you need to be listening to something and ruining the quiet?


Can you really focus on your government when you're humming along to Christmas carols?


I understand that music is a wonderful thing, but my brief silences need not be marred by a sort of ADD buzz in the background. There's nothing wrong with focusing on one thing. (Internet, I'm talking to you.)


I used to be able to indefinitely occupy myself with my own thoughts.


Sitting here, thinking, in the quiet, I'm just not sure if I can anymore.


STOP

1 comment:

  1. CAPITAL LIGHTSSSSSSSS

    And yeah, this makes a lot of sense to me. It used to be I could just sit around and think about stuff and never get bored. Now it takes about five minutes for me to start wishing something differently was happening.

    This does not help the fact that I have to take the SAT tomorrow morning and spend a good five hours alone with my thoughts and a bunch of stupid questions.

    ReplyDelete